Keep your pool safe and compliant with adequate fencing
Your swimming pool needs to be fenced with safe and council-compliant fencing. Regular inspections are carried out after the fencing is installed to ensure it remains compliant.
A fenced area must cover the immediate area around the pool. It must not include any playground equipment, vehicle or pedestrian access or anything not related to the pool. Trees or anything that a child could climb on for access must not be in the immediate area outside the fencing.
A pool fence must:
- be at least 1.2m above the ground
- fitted with a latching device that is at least 1.5m above the ground if it is accessible outside the barrier or 1.2m if inside the barrier
- have a gap between the bottom of the fence and ground level of not more than 100mm
- have gates and doors that open outwards away from the pool area
- have gates that are self-closing
You can use existing fencing or buildings as part of your pool fence as long as they are secure and any doors or gates leading to the pool are self-closing.